Tuesday, 20 December 2016


Me standing at the spot Gen. Ironsi was killed

I am standing on the spot where Head of State - General J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi and the Western Nigerian Governor Lt Col Francis Adekunle Fajuyi were assassinated on July 29, 1966. It's about half a plot of land, belonging to the family of Otun Balogun of Lalopon with trees and bushes. It is located almost by the intersection of the old and new Ibadan-Iwo road, opposite Idito High School, Erunmu in Lagelu Local Government Area of Oyo State.

On July 28, 1966, Head of State - General J T U Aguiyi-Ironsi hosted traditional rulers from all parts of the country in the Ibadan Government House, Agodi. The following morning of July 29, at about 4 a. m, Captain Andrew Nwankwo received a call from Adeola, the then Commissioner of Police, Ibadan he said he wanted to speak with Ironsi. Captain Andrew Nwankwo was the Aide-De-Camp to Major General J. T. U Aguiyi Ironsi. Adeola informed him that there was a coup. General Ironsi had in his security entourage a small detachment of 106 Artillery, Commanded by Lt. Col.

The spot where Gen. Agui-Ironsi was killed

William Walbe - Ironsi Commander of Security Convoy . Lieutenant Sanni Bello was the army ADC to the Head of State and Lt. Adamu was the ADC to Lt Col Francis Adekunle Fajuyi. (Walbe later became ADC to Gowon). Around 5:30 a m there were gun-fire, then General Ironsi sent Col. Njoku to go and get details of the events. Njoku was the Commander of Lagos Garrison that alerted others outside the Government House, Ibadan about the coup. Lt Col Francis Adekunle Fajuyi commanded Nwankwo to go outside the Government House to find out what was happening. Nwankwo met with Major T. Y. Danjuma, and Danjuma demanded to see the Head of State. At that point Lt Col Francis Adekunle Fajuyi came out to find out what was holding Nwankwo, Fajuyi was arrested and the demand for General Ironsi to come down became intensive. Nwankwo took them to Ironsi and Major Titus Numan, ( a non commissioned officer, who was promoted by General Ironsi to the rank of full Lieutenant) seized Ironsi's crocodile swagger stick, and they questioned him about the January 15, 1966 coup. Gen Ironsi explained that he only stepped in to restore confidence and normalcy.

Gen. JTU Agui-Ironsi

General J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi and Lt Col Francis Adekunle Fajuyi were arrested and the rest became history. They were taken away in a Land Rover and a mini bus and driven to an isolated area along Iwo Road. Stopped over and marched them to the right hand side of the bush. They were both killed right on the spot. I am standing on that spot and displaying a copy of the book that I wrote on Ironsi.
I am calling on President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria, the Executive Governors of: Oyo State - Abiola Adeyemi Ajimobi; Abia State - Okezie Ikpeazu; Ekiti State - Peter Ayodele Fayose to come together and give honoure to this two great Nigerians by building an epitaph in remembrance of them at the site. It will not be in vain and this will also attract tourists to the site. May their soul rest in peace. God bless Nigeria

1 comment:

  1. They were heroes who deserved to be honored.
    May their souls keep resting.